Sunday, September 6, 2015

Curried Tofu Salad on Sourdough


Vegan MoFo 2015 Day 5 & 6: Best Sandwich Ever/Recreate a restaurant meal.

This is the sandwich I wanted to post yesterday, but was thwarted by a leaking kitchen sink. However, it worked out fine because this can also double as a recreated restaurant dish.

This is my version of Wayward Vegan Cafe's curried tofu salad. I haven't eaten in the cafe yet, but they sell pre-made sandwiches to a neighborhood grocery store and I bought one of these in the deli section. The sandwich is called the Tofu Curry Bomber, and it is a taste bomb for sure; full of texture, spice and creaminess. I don't think the sandwich itself is on the menu in the restaurant, so it must be something they only sell wholesale.

The salad consists of extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into small cubes, and finely diced red onion, celery, jalapeno, green apple, and raisins (whole, not diced). (Grapes are good in this too.) I season it with a couple teaspoons of curry powder, about 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala, a teaspoon of turmeric, and salt and pepper. I also add a splash of apple cider vinegar, a splash of hot sauce, and chopped cilantro.

I just use cashew yogurt instead of mayo, to which I add some finely minced garlic, a pinch of dry mustard, and a small bit of agave syrup. Although, I don't always eat this as a sandwich (it's good thrown on top of a kale salad too), when I do eat it this way,  I think the sourdough is essential; it adds an extra tangy-ness.



Happy Mo-Foing everyone!

15 comments:

  1. Looks very delicious!
    Exactly the type of sandwich I like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I cannot resist! Must do this today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose! Is that really you? I was scanning the recipe list on my blog looking for a cake when my eye caught the name of your blog in the side column. Are you going to blog again or just for mofo. I've been ignoring my blog for quite a while but one of these days I'll return to it.

    Your sandwich looks great! We go to Wayward somewhat often since they moved to their new location, and it's so close to our house. I used to always get sick there (as did many others that I know) but not anymore. Although I don't remember a tofu curry sandwich on the menu, there is a "curry bomber salad."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea!! Yaay!

    Yes, it's really me. I think I'm going to try and keep up the blog again...we'll see.
    I'm having fun with MoFo, and I'm looking forward to catching up with blog buddies from before.

    I know, I checked the menu and didn't see the sandwich...I bought it a few times at the MarketTime on Fremont, and it was definitely from the Wayward Vegan Cafe. It seems like they do it with chiggin' instead of tofu in the restaraunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I almost did a curried chickpea sandwich for the sandwich prompt - I love em. Good idea to use yoghurt in place of mayo too - I always have yoghurt but not always mayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My GOODNESS! This is heavenly! I wish you could mail me one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would if I could...but I'm sure you can make a stellar version!

      Delete
  7. Now that has got to be one of the best sandwich names ever! The contents sound delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree,Tofu Curry Bomber is a great name! :)

      Delete
  8. Sandwiches are my favorite food! especially big ones. Love that you have both Sprouts and Lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, nothing beats a good sandwich!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...